Friday, April 11, 2014

Hales Corners Chess Challenge XIX - April 12, 2014!

Hola darlings!

I won't be there in person tomorrow, but I will be there in spirit, and in Goddesschess Prize Money, woo woo!  The latest email I received, there are 89 pre-registered players, 11 of which are you, my dear chess femmes. 

Can we break a record?  Let's go for it, ladies.  Top $800 in Goddesschess prize money winnings (paid out in Challenge XVIII) and we set a new record.  I know you can do it...

You know, sitting here tonight, surrounded by incipient chaos of house sale and trying to find a new place for myself to live, I can't help but think of all those countless dreams I've had over the years, but none more than now, recently (does it mean something?), that I somehow, miraculously, was born again as a chess prodigy who became the first female World Chess Champion and also the Queen of England more or less at the same time. Well, what can I say? The Prince of Wales ("Wills", that is) IS a hunk of a man.  I would definitely take that job on...

Of course, as dreams do, "I" jump from time to time, era to era, but chess is always there, and so is that Prince.  Hmmmm.... Maybe in my next life.  So, if you someday see a very imperial Queenish-figure holding a Staunton style Queen between her thumb and forefinger in an official portrait, with a half-cocked smile and dimples showing, that will be me, darlings.  Swear it!

But, for now, I have to be content with "Dream On" by Aerosmith. I think these lyrics are the best chess-related I've ever heard, whether Steven Tyler has ever played chess or not.  Just read them, and think about it:

"Dream On"
Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer [Will we make NM before 21, or 71...]
The past is gone [We supposedly forget about our prior losses --- but we NEVAH do...]
It went by like dusk to dawn [Hell, yeah]
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay [Yes, all chessplayers pay their dues...]

Yeah, I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win  [So true. Until you lose, how do you know how to win?]

Half my life's in books' written pages [Chess master books...]
Live and learn from fools and from sages [Yeah.  Some of them are crap, some of them are gems.]
You know it's true
All the things you do, come back to you [Oh yeah.  It's called ELO, baby!]

Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away

Sing with me, sing it for the year
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away

Dream on, dream on, dream on, [I will always dream of myself as World Chess Champion...
Dream until your dream come true [and Queen of England, too...]
Dream on, dream on, dream on,
And dream until your dream come true
Dream on [7x]

Sing with me, sing it for the year
Sing for the laughter and sing it for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away

Sing with me, sing it for the year
Sing for the laughter and sing it for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away

Want to see a video of Aerosmith in their prime singing "Dream On":


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...