Friday, September 2, 2011

What do you do with a chessplayer, when she's not really a chessplayer...

ooooohhhhh, what do you do with a chess femme out of place?????

C'est moi!  All of a sudden I've got two chess games going at Red Hot Pawn and I've no idea what I'm doing.  So sad!  Paranoid!  So bad! 

I will keep plugging away.  This stop-start thing that is the format for thee games is not good for my brain; I cannot seem to pick up the thread of what I was thinking about when I made my last move.  NOT GOOD...  But I don't have time to devote to playing a game straight through in real time. Neither do my opponents. 

The truly funny part of this is that I'd fired up the old desk top after having it off line for weeks - intent more on getting updates to its antique OS than anything else.  99.9% of the emails I get there these days are adverts that I sometimes remember signing up for - long ago and far away - and some I have absolutely no recollection of signing up to receive.  Hmmmm.....

Amidst the reckage of my email were these game notifications, gasp!  I must change my email - like - tonight.  Geez!  Haven't done that yet, and these games have gone on for 3-4-5 moves or so now.  I think I'm already lost in both of them, BTW...

Oh, woe is me, woe is me.  It's clear I'm still stuck in the 19th century.  I'm no multi-tasker, that's for damn sure!  I can't think about packing for St. Louis and organizing my retirement investment portfolio at the same time, and as for the estate plan - geez!  I'm thinking about yard work, and pulling the old Sears sewing machine out to hem two new pairs of slacks, not to mention attempting a reconstruction (in a larger size) of a favorite figure-flattering dress...  Not to mention I have not vacuumed, darlings, in at least six months (I'm not kidding).

So, whilst I dream about  becoming a rather late-blooming (ahem) challenger for the national chess championship title (okay, the world title), I'd much rather admire the intrepid and timeless ladies and gents featured at Ari Seth Cohen's Advanced Style blog, among Ms. Elaine Stritch was recently featured:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...