Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hales Corners Chess Challenge XIII

There is still plenty of time to register for this all-in-one-day event in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, my hometown!  Check out the flyer for the particulars.  Worth 10 USCF Grand Prix points AND a Wisconsin Chess Association Tour event!


Goddesschess will pay the entry fee for the top female finishers in both the Open and Reserve sections for Challenge XIV, should they choose to enter.  Cash prizes for all females playing in the Open:  $40 for a win; $20 for a draw. 

Attendance records were smashed for Challenge IX two years ago, in April 2009, with 107 players!  The last two Challengex (XI and XII) each saw 78 players participate.  So far, so good!  There are 62 players pre-registered. Traditionally, there is a good walk-up turn-out on the day of the Challenge.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and wishing for the best turn-out ever!

The playing venue is the Wyndham Milwaukee Airport Hotel, 4747 South Howell Avenue, Milwaukee, WI (414) 481-8000 (mention chess rate $59).

Plan for a great day of chess, competition, and comraderie.  You can have your games analyzed in the skittles room by Life Master Sheldon Gelbart throughout the tournament! 


I'm the um, "mature" beauty :)  I look like I'm about to fall asleep
and those infamous "chipmunk cheeks" of mine are in full view.
Not the most flattering photo, especially next to the lovely Shira Evans
of  Computer Labs 4 Kids!  Oh well.  It was a long day and I was
exhausted for Game 4, which did not last very long.  I just wanted
 to go home.  I still did manage to whip up a gourmet meal when we
finally got there!  Note to self: never wear my hair short again.'
Ohmygoddess. Inside beats the heart of an 18 year old. 
 I will not, alas (cough cough), be able to repeat my performance from Challenge XII (zero wins, zero draws) at Challenge XIII.  I'd planned on it and had even drafted my sometimes significant other, Mr. Don, into coming to Milwaukee to suffer mutual humiliation with me; but after we received news that Shira Evans, my chess bud, was getting married, we changed our plans.  Shira also played in Challenge XII and did very well - it had been her first tournament in several years and she had a little rust but she won 2 of her 4 games against stronger players and finished at 50%.  She's currently listed in the USCF's active top 100 female chessplayers in the United States!  Hooray, Shira!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...